Thursday, June 25, 2015

books books books

When I was going through puberty my mother gave me a book. It was a small one that the doctor had given her so she did not have to explain puberty to my brothers or me and my sister. It was great for the bits about body changes but lacked anything about emotional changes or why things felt the way they did. In some ways maybe this was good since I did not have restrictive parameters telling me masturbation was evil or that feeling pleasure was a sin.
I just did a 30 second search on-line for books about sex for kids. There seem to be lots of options from straight forward this is puberty to where do babies come from to books that do address those super awkward topics like masturbation, foreplay,  STD's...
Here is a URL with a list of 10 books to consider.
http://geekdad.com/2014/02/top-10-sex-ed-books/

But how is handing a kid a book different than making them site through someone's presentation about how sex is only for marriage. It still doesn't offer an open dialog, or give them an honest outlet for their questions.
Maybe reading the books at the same time as your child or with young ones read books to them.

I watch parents when they deal with young ones who are touching themselves in public. Some parents freak out and swat their kid's hands telling them they are bad. others gently explain that we do not do that in public but its ok when the child is alone. Guess which one I think is healthier.

No comments:

Post a Comment